BE CAREFUL HOW YOU LIVE
“Be very careful, then, how you live—not as unwise but as wise, 16 making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil. 17 Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the Lord’s will is. 18 Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit, 19 speaking to one another with psalms, hymns, and songs from the Spirit. Sing and make music from your heart to the Lord, 20 always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.” (Ephesians 5:15—20 NIV)
Paul gave a warning to believers in Ephesus to be CAREFUL how they live. There is a certain way that Paul says that I as a believer must be careful about as I live life. The definition of the word careful is; making sure of avoiding potential danger, or harmful situations. It also carries the definition of paying close attention to something or being prudent in the use of something.
Sometimes believers are NOT CAREFUL of who we are and what we are supposed to do. Paul exhorts his brothers and sisters in Ephesus to be CAREFUL how they live life. Here, Paul gave wise advise on how to be careful.
- Don’t live as UNWISE, but as WISE…Sometimes things that we do cannot just be seeing as right or wrong only, but is it wise or unwise. Wisdom looks at every facet of the issues faced and decide the best way that will produced a much desired outcome. Wisdom gives reasons more than just a right and wrong perspectives.
- Make the most of EVERY OPPORTUNITY. The best way to make the most of every opportunity is to have wisdom guide my decision making. Though Paul said to make the most of every opportunity, yet not every opportunity is from God, and this is where wisdom from God comes in. Because the wisdom from above will help me learn what is evil about an opportunity and what is useful even though it may present forth in evil. Wisdom helps me discern opportunities. The days I am living in is evil, I must discern with wisdom opportunities that God directs me to even if it looks evil.
- Don’t be FOOLISH, but UNDERSTAND what the will of the Lord is…Here again Paul emphasis the important of WISDOM. Wisdom helps me discern and understand the WILL of the Lord in every opportunity I am presented with.
- DO NOT GET DRUNK on wine. Wisdom of God helps you know that when you get DRUNK on wine, it gives you nothing. People resort to wine until they are wasted to escape problems always get drunk to find false comfort from life. Many lives has been ruined by excessive drinking and consumption of alcohol out of control.
- BE FILLED WITH SPIRIT…When someone is drunk with wine, it only provide self-gratifications. But when a person is FILLED WITH THE SPIRIT, it is for the benefit of not only self, but others around. A SPIRIT-FILLED person praises the Lord and is always grateful for everything that God has done and will continue to do in the future. A wine filled life gets drunk and get deep in misery.
I am grateful for this reminder to be wise and be led by the Spirit of God in life. The days we live in is evil. Wine is not bad. However, consuming too much wine or alcohol leads to misery and false comfort and a sense of escapism and can also result is lost opportunities and missed out on God’s will and direction for my life. I desire more of the Spirit Filled and a Wisdom filled life that will help me discern, know and understand God’s will in my life.
Lord Jesus, I ask that you continue to pour out your Spirit and Wisdom upon me daily. I ask that I will be always looking unto you and depend on you daily. Give me wisdom. Fill me with your Holy Spirit daily so I may discern your purpose and will in my life. Thank you for reminding me to the importance of being fill with your Spirit and Wisdom today. Amen!