INVOLVE THE LORD IN YOUR PLANS, AND HE WILL ESTABLISHED IT
“To humans belong the plans of the heart, but from the Lord comes the proper answer of the tongue. 2 All a person’s ways seem pure to them, but motives are weighed by the Lord. 3 Commit to the Lord whatever you do, and he will establish your plans. 4 The Lord works out everything to its proper end, even the wicked, for a day of disaster. 5 The Lord detests all the proud of heart. Be sure of this: They will not go unpunished. 6 Through love and faithfulness, sin is atoned for; through the fear of the Lord, evil is avoided. 7 When the Lord takes pleasure in anyone’s way, he causes their enemies to make peace with them. 8 Better a little with righteousness than much gain with injustice. 9 In their hearts, humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps.” (Proverbs 16:1—9)
This proverb that Solomon wrote is an excellent reminder of how I make plans for life. Solomon was the wisest king of his time. However, he did not always act in wisdom. He had made a lot of plunders in his life. Many of his plans led him astray from God’s plans and purpose.
Solomon gave some tips on how God wants to be involved in the planning process of my life. What Solomon wrote here is a good guide to help me recognize God’s hand in the process of my planning and decision-making. My takeaway from Solomon’s tips.
- My plans belong to me, BUT the Lord comes with the PROPER ANSWER…God gives me the freedom to plan, but he will give the right answer. It might be the answer that I am hoping for, or not what God thinks best for what I am hoping for. I have to trust God.
- My plans may SEEM PURE in my own eyes, BUT the Lord WEIGHS THE MOTIVES…Sometimes I ask God in my plans that are out of impure motives. I asked with selfish desires. So, God knows plans and prayers that are motivated out of impure or pure motives.
- My plans must be COMMITTED to the Lord; he will establish them. This is an excellent reminder of all my plans to be committed to Jesus. He will ESTABLISH as he sees it as the best way to make it happen.
- The Lord will WORK OUT EVERYTHING in its proper time. I must trust Jesus’ timing in the things that I have committed to him. Jesus’ timing is not my timing. He knows my motives and intentions; thus, he will respond in his own time. I must trust him.
- Humans MAKE PLANS in their hearts, but the Lord ESTABLISHES THEIR STEPS.
It is clear to me today that the Lord desires to be a part of my planning process. How often do I move on my own and even try to make my plans happen without Jesus? I am reminded today that Jesus knows the appropriate time and the appropriateness of my plans and how to respond to them. I will continue to trust Jesus and commit all my plans to him for his approval and establishment. I am still learning to trust Jesus’ timing with everything that I plan.
Father God, I am blessed that you desire to be in the process of my plans in life. Forgive me for the times that I forged ahead on my own timing and tried to make things happen. I will continue to put my trust in you and trust all my plans in your wise leading. Teach me to be patient and trusting. Amen!