JESUS SAID, DON’T BE AFRAID, I AM WITH YOU
“If you love me, keep my commands. 16 And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another advocate to help you and be with you forever— 17 the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be[o] in you. 18 I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you. 19 Before long, the world will not see me anymore, but you will see me. Because I live, you also will live. 20 On that day you will realize that I am in my Father, and you are in me, and I am in you. 21 Whoever has my commands and keeps them is the one who loves me. The one who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love them and show myself to them.” 22 Then Judas (not Judas Iscariot) said, “But, Lord, why do you intend to show yourself to us and not to the world?” 23 Jesus replied, “Anyone who loves me will obey my teaching. My Father will love them, and we will come to them and make our home with them. 24 Anyone who does not love me will not obey my teaching. These words you hear are not my own; they belong to the Father who sent me. 25 “All this I have spoken while still with you. 26 But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you. 27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.” (John 14:15–27)
Jesus speaks about his relationship with those who said they love him. The mark of someone who loves Jesus is someone who keeps his commands. The Father also loves the person who loves Jesus. Moreover, Jesus said, I will love that person and SHOW myself to them. Even though the word “Trinity” is not mentioned in the scripture, it is certainly seen here working together for the good of those who love God. God is actively working with those who love him. Jesus said, IF YOU LOVE ME, keep my commandments. Obedience is the key factor in my relationship with Jesus.
In this season of Christmas, I am so grateful to Jesus for reminding me of his love for me. Here, I find so many promises of this loving relationship with God. Though this was spoken to his disciples over 2000 years ago, it is also for those who walk with him today.
- Jesus promised that he would ask the Father and give us another advocate to help us and be with us forever… THE SPIRIT OF TRUTH, whom the world cannot accept because they do not see nor know him. No one with the Spirit of truth can love Jesus on their own strength unless the Spirit of truth is in them. Jesus said I will SHOW MYSELF to those who love and obey my word. This is how Jesus shows himself to us:
- I will NOT leave you as orphans, I will come to you
- The world will not see me, but YOU will see me
- Because I live, you also will live
- I am in the Father, and You are in me, and I am in you
- The one who keeps my commandments is the one who loves me and obeys my teaching
- The Advocate, the Holy Spirit whom the Father will send in MY name, will teach you all the things and will remind you of everything I have said to you.
- My Peace, I will leave with you. My Peace I give to you. These are such assuring words that drop from the mouth of Jesus.
- Do not let your hearts be troubled
- Do not be afraid.
What promises! What assurance I am reminded of in Christ. Thus, I must not let my heart be troubled. I must not be afraid. Problems of life have no control over us. We must NOT LET anything control us, for God the Father, God the Son, and God the Spirit is with us. What a powerful message for this Christmas season. I am so grateful for the power to live life forward. Judas asks, Jesus, Why do you intend to show yourself only unto us, but to the world? Jesus shows his acts to the world, but he shows his Character to those who seek after him. The world only wants to be entertained but does not desire a relationship with Jesus.
I am amazed by the fact that the Godhead is with me and working and keeping me in a relationship with Jesus. I am never alone and I will continue to remind myself not to be fearful or overly concerned about the things that I have no control over. I must keep the faith to know that Jesus has revealed himself to me in such a way that I do not have to worry or be fearful of things that are beyond my control. I am in a relationship with the almighty God, which is all that matters.
Jesus, your word is life and light unto my heart. I am forever grateful, and words are insufficient to express my gratitude to you for showing yourself and who you are to me. Thank you for being so faithful in my life. I have fallen short so many times, but your mercy and grace continuously reached me and reminded me to trust in you. I am grateful to you for sending the Holy Spirit and for leaving and giving me your peace as I journey with you today. Amen!